WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking a proven leader with demonstrated and sustained experience managing people, budgets, and contract compliance to guide a well-established ecological monitoring program through a critical time of transition. BEMP is actively exploring a path towards independence (as a future 501c3 or LLC) and seeks an outstanding leader and supervisor to support excellence in programming and organizational culture for approximately six months.
As Interim Director you will join a team of scientist-educators in building civic engagement through community science and environmental stewardship. You will manage a team of professionals and students who engage with thousands of diverse New Mexico students in collecting key data about the ecological status of the Middle Rio Grande and its riverside forest, the bosque.
● Manage a staff of about 15 full, part-time, and student employees.
● Working with BEMP staff, see to the compliance with all BEMP contracts, agreements, and funding
agreements (about 20 funding sources) including the timely transfer of deliverables, reports, and the
● Manage the BEMP budget of roughly $750K and see to the continued flow of inbound contracts and
other agreements that sustain BEMP’s operations in cooperation with BEMP leadership team.
● Fully support the professional development and practice demonstrating a commitment to the principles
of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for all BEMP participants, partners, and colleagues.
● In cooperation with BEMP’s co-director/lead scientist at UNM and the rest of the BEMP leadership team
coordinate and direct BEMP’s programmatic and operational activities.
● In coordination with Bosque School’s Head of School and BEMP leadership assist with the transition to
a new operational structure.
● Manage the safety of and reduce the risk to BEMP participants, especially in field settings.
● Work in a collegial and positive manner with all BEMP partners and staff.
● Active participation in BEMP professional development opportunities, meetings, staff reviews, retreats,
tours, events, and other special programs, as needed.
● Support BEMP’s parent organizations, Bosque School and UNM, with their missions and needs.
WHO WE ARE
BEMP does science that matters beyond the classroom. From more than 60 schools and 30 field sites the Bosque Ecosystem Monitoring Program (BEMP) gathers over a million data points every year to inform multi-million dollar management decisions of the Rio Grande and its watershed. Since 1996 this unique partnership between the University of New Mexico (UNM) and Bosque School has been essential to understanding the Rio Grande ecosystem. In BEMP our primary focus is tracking long-term change in the Rio Grande’s riparian forest, or bosque.BEMP’s mission (community science, education, and stewardship: equitable and inclusive hands-on student research essential to the management of the Rio Grande ecosystem) is advanced though student-led data collection, classroom education, place-based learning experiences, community outreach, independent student research projects, after-school programming, and meaningful collaborations with other organizations and agencies. BEMP currently is housed at Bosque School. Founded in 1994 and located on a 45-acre site in the bosque along the Rio Grande in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Bosque School’s mission is to prepare young men and women to become lifelong learners with the highest character values and academic goals in a natural New Mexico setting with strong family and community involvement. The school embodies the best of traditional independent education while embracing a progressive and inventive approach to learning. Currently, there are 480 students in grades 6 -12. There are over 50 faculty members with over 70% holding advanced degrees. The average class size is 18.
How to Apply:
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants must send a letter of intent and resume to Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org
order to be considered. Review of applications will begin January 6, 2020, and applicants are encouraged to submit application materials prior to this date. The position will remain open until filled and will begin as soon as filled.