Energy and Water Client Educator Conservation Corpsmembers participate in an intensive program that offers leadership development, an opportunity to serve your community and earn bi-weekly living stipend of $948. Corpsmembers make a difference serving in the Denver community installing energy and water saving measures, including high-efficiency toilets (HETs) and compact florescent or LED light bulbs. In this role they are responsible for educating clients on the benefits of the services provided, both to the client as well as the environment. They will also be responsible to implement a behavior survey that will help inform further energy saving measures. They build critical professional skills, customer service skills, grow as leaders, gain access and opportunities in the community, and have fun along the way. MHYC supports Corpsmembers as they explore their future goals and strive towards their next steps.
• Biweekly stipend: Earn a living stipend of $948 before taxes every two weeks. There is a potential for a performance-based raise.
• AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $2,215.25 upon successful completion of their term (675 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans
This is a temporary position is available ASAP, and runs through – June 30, 2018.
• 675 hours of service in a five month commitment
• Mon-Thurs 8 a.m. – 4:30p.m., Fridays 8a.m. – 4p.m., Schedule may vary depending on projects
Low-income clients: Help clients reduce utility bills by installing high-efficiency toilets, aerators, compact florescent light bulbs, and water efficient showerheads. Lead conversations with residents regarding their home energy use and gain information through an electronic survey. Educate them on energy saving tips customized to resident needs and provide referrals to other vital energy assistance sources in the state.
The Community: Participate in service projects and Global Youth Service Days that support local non-profits and our community
Mile High Youth Corps: Provide logistics support including but not limited to, building, vehicle and tool maintenance.
Trainings: Hands-on technical training related to all projects and tools, leadership development, civic engagement, working with diverse clients, customer service, and educational opportunities through Xcel Energy and Denver Water, peer leadership, service learning, and Career and College Readiness.
Student loan forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for sixty days. Member share of health insurance premium is $80 per month.
Leadership Opportunities: Opportunities for peer leadership include serving on the Leadership Council, developing service projects, supporting client intake, and delivering environmental education, civic engagement, and service learning activities. Corpsmembers also have the opportunity to provide direct programmatic input and direction in leadership roles.
• Superior people skills, including excellent communication and writing skills with a strong attention to detail.
• Basic computer skills
• Able to read, write and speak fluently in English and Spanish, preferred.
• Passionate about energy conservation
• Ability to learn and retain energy conservation techniques and teach others
• Between 18-24 years old and eligible to legally serve in the United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or currently pursuing either of the two, or equivalent work experience preferred.
• Must be capable of participating in physical labor including but not limited to: ability to lift 50 lbs., able to conduct repetitive hand and arm motions, and able to maneuver in tight spaces, including bending and kneeling.
• Desire and ability to engage with people from different backgrounds and demographics.
• Responsibly serve in clients homes and represent MHYC positively at all times.
• Able to commit to the whole term of service.
• Demonstrate commitment to serving with program staff and Corpsmembers, communication and problem solving.
• Actively participate as part of a team, show respect to others and have a positive attitude.
• Valid driver’s license with insurable driving record needed.
• This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations and therefore candidates must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during the term.
• Must not engage in any prohibited activities listed in the AmeriCorps member service agreement and must adhere to rules and regulations specified in the MHYC handbook.
• Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality service, installations, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
• This position reports to Project Coordinator: Energy and Water Conservation.
Visit our website at www.milehighyouthcorps.org and click “Apply Now”. Or visit us in person at 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204. Questions? Email email@example.com
or call 303-433-1206 x221.
Mile High Youth Corps (MHYC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MHYC is committed to diversity in principle and practice, both in the community at large and within the organization. We are, therefore, committed to having our internal operations and employment practices administered on a non-discriminating basis inclusive of, but not limited to, race, religion, color, socio-economic status, gender, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, marital status, or national origin. Every effort shall be made to grant reasonable accommodation for qualified people with disabilities to participate in this AmeriCorps program.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Grand Canyon Trust