Energy and Water Conservation Corpsmembers participate in an intensive program that offers leadership development and an opportunity to serve your community with a diverse crew. Corpsmembers make a difference serving in the Denver community installing energy and water saving measures, including ultra-high efficiency toilets (UHETs) and compact florescent light bulbs. They build critical professional skills, grow as leaders, gain access and opportunities in the community, and have fun along the way. MHYC also supports Corpsmembers as they explore their future goals and strive towards their next steps.
• Biweekly stipend: Earn a living stipend of $800 before taxes every two weeks. There is a potential for a performance-based raise.
• AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,230.69 upon successful completion of 300 hour term of service. This award can be used to pay tuition or payback qualifying student loans.
This is a temporary position: Term: This is a 300 hour service term with the possibility to enroll in an additional term. This term is from 8/10/2018 – 10/4/2018.
• 39.5 hour weeks, Mon-Thurs 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Fridays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Schedule may vary depending on projects.
• Low-income clients: Help clients reduce their utility bills by
installing high-efficiency toilets, aerators, compact florescent light
bulbs, and water efficient showerheads. You also offer
information on energy and water conservation techniques.
• The Community: Participate in service projects and Global Youth
Service Days that support local non-profits and our community
• Mile High Youth Corps: Provide logistics support including but not
limited to, building, vehicle and tool maintenance
• Trainings: Hands-on technical training related to all
projects and tools, leadership development, civic engagement,
working with diverse clients, and educational opportunities
through Xcel Energy and Denver Water, peer leadership, service learning, and Career and College Readiness.
• Student loan forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
• Health Insurance: Possible through Cigna. Member has no share of monthly premiums.
• Child Care Allowance: Possible through AmeriCorps CARE, https://www.americorpschildcare.com/
• Leadership Opportunities: Opportunities for peer leadership include serving on the Leadership Council, developing service projects, supporting client intake, and delivering environmental education, civic engagement, and service learning activities. Corpsmembers also have the opportunity to provide direct programmatic input and direction in leadership roles.
• Between 18-24 years old Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Able to read, write and speak fluently in English and Spanish, preferred.
• Must be capable of participating in physical labor including but not limited to: ability to lift 50 lbs., able to conduct repetitive hand and arm motions, and able to maneuver in tight spaces, including bending and kneeling.
• Desire and ability to engage with people from different backgrounds and demographics.
• Responsibly serve in clients homes and represent MHYC positively at all times.
• Able to give and receive constructive criticism.
• Able to commit to the whole term of service.
• Demonstrate commitment to serving with your team, communication and problem solving.
• Actively participate as part of a team, show respect to others and have a positive attitude.
• Valid driver’s license with insurable driving record needed.
• This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during the term.
• Must not engage in any prohibited activities listed in the AmeriCorps member service agreement and must adhere to rules and regulations specified in the MHYC handbook.
• Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality service, installations, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
• This position reports to Crew Leader: Energy and Water Conservation.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Grand Canyon Trust