The Center for Western Priorities (CWP) is a nonpartisan communications and policy
center that serves as a source of accurate information, promotes responsible policies and
practices, and ensures accountability at all levels to protect land, water, and communities
in the American West.
CWP advances responsible conservation and energy practices in the American West by
encouraging open and public debate. We leverage innovative strategies from national
marketing initiatives, online grassroots social campaigns, and effective paid and earned
media campaigns to advance discussions online, in the media, and throughout Western
communities by promoting responsible solutions and accurate information.
Our research-based center advocates for honest dialogue and broad public disclosure,
providing thorough and thoughtful analysis quickly and accurately
Policy and Research Associate
The Policy and Research Associate is responsible for providing support to CWP staff in the
development and implementation of strategic campaigns to protect public lands in the
West. The Policy and Research Associate is fully integrated into CWP campaigns and is
expected to think creatively, independently, and take ownership of assigned projects.
Primary responsibilities include:
● Producing proactive, data-driven reports, policy briefs, and white papers to defend
against attacks on public lands and to promote land protections and responsible
● Tracking policy developments in key state legislatures, before Congress, and under
consideration by U.S. land management agencies.
● Regularly review, analyze, and summarize research materials prepared on behalf of
CWP. Identify opportunities to capitalize on research through CWP channels.
● Regularly contribute original content on the Center for Western Priorities Westwise
● Contribute to the development of regular CWP products, including the daily Look
West morning newsletter and rapid response communications opportunities.
● Build and maintain strong relationships with conservation policy experts.
The Policy and Research Associate is a two-year fellowship, as a part of the Wyss Fellows
Program for developing conservation leaders. As a Wyss Fellow, the Policy and Research
Fellow will gain experience in a broad range of issues and multiple aspects of conservation
advocacy and campaigns. Additionally, the Fellow will participate in an annual weeklong
training program. The Policy and Research Associate is a full-time, exempt position and
reports to the Policy Director.
This position is located in Denver, Colorado.
● Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, political science, natural resource
management, journalism, economics, or a related field.
● Outstanding research, writing, editing, proofreading, and verbal communications
● Demonstrated ability to understand complex policy issues and communicate them
clearly to a layman’s audience.
● Interest in public lands, land conservation, and Western politics.
● Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and perform in a fast-paced, teamoriented
● Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Excel. Preference given to
candidates with comfort manipulating large datasets and government data,
experience with GIS, and/or visual design experience using Adobe Creative Suite.
● Highly organized and detail-oriented.
Procedure for Candidacy
The Center for Western Priorities is a project of Resources Legacy Fund (RLF). RLF works
with philanthropists to conserve land, water, and ocean resources while advancing healthy
communities and social equity. RLF is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes
applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin,
ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and resume to:
The deadline for applications is Thursday, December 20, 2018.