Application Deadline: July 11, 2018
Location: Holyoke or Sterling, CO
Anticipated Start Date: July 2018
Overview: The incumbent will serve as a Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist and as a team leader for Colorado by providing both biological/wildlife technical assistance for conservation programs to agriculture producers and landowners as well as leadership to the corps of other CO FBWBs. This is not a supervisory position. This position will be an employee of Pheasants Forever and be supervised by the PF West Region Manager.
• Perform all duties of a Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist at an exemplary level, and:
• Serves as the primary representative on farm bill working groups & committees in CO possibly including the USDA State Tech. Committee and other agency workgroups as assigned.
• Organizes and hosts regular meetings with primary funding partners to ensure consistent exchange of information and accomplishments.
• Regularly communicates with NRCS field staff, USFWS Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program Coordinator and Biologists, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Small Game Program Manager and other staff as applicable
• Reviews and compiles monthly accomplishment data for quarterly reports to be submitted as part of funding arrangements. Drafts annual report on accomplishments to help promote farm bill partnership outcomes.
• Leads the identification and development of comprehensive training plans for new and existing farm bill wildlife biologists including the implementation of job shadowing assignments and initial field office orientation.
• Coordinates the development and organization of habitat tours, demonstration areas tours, landowner workshops.
• Proposes and seeks innovative ways to further wildlife conservation and partnerships in the state of CO.
• Stays up-to-date on new scientific publications about pheasant research and other scientific findings relevant to delivering landscape scale conservation. Disseminates findings to colleagues with recommendations on how to incorporate into daily activities.
• Represents Pheasants Forever at habitat-related professional and partnership meetings as assigned.
• Provides Regional Manager with input for annual reviews of other Farm Bill Wildlife Biologists.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Extensive knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by Federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state agencies, private partners and PF. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Demonstrated experience as a leader with strong initiative.
• Excellent and proven verbal/written communication and organizational skills.
• Conflict resolution skills.
• GIS skills are desired but not required
• Valid driver’s license required; work vehicle provided; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience. In addition to this education requirement the applicant must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Farm Bill Wildlife Biologist and/or Regional Representative with Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever.
Starting Salary: $42,000 + Health Benefits and Retirement Package.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit our Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please upload your cover letter, resume and 3 references as single MS Word document or Adobe Acrobat file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled