Have fun this summer and work for an environmental organization by teaching youth in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. BookTrails is an exciting organization that offers unique early education programs promoting environmental awareness taught through reading, writing, and art. We are seeking Lead Teachers to join our summer programming team for Reading on Ranches Camp. Lead Intern/Teachers will gain experience in many sectors of the organization—including overseeing a team of 4 interns, camp logistics and planning, and most importantly, teaching environmental education in an outdoor setting. They will work with the Assistant Directors to facilitate camp lessons, scheduling, and supervise our team of interns. Lead
Interns/Teachers will also get to travel to Edwards, CO and help teach a satellite program, as well as camping trips and rafting trips with the campers throughout Colorado. An unforgettable experience is guaranteed, as well as an excellent spring-board towards your next career choice. Spend your summer exploring the beautiful Colorado wilderness while helping children have the nature experience of a lifetime.
• Act as a supervisor for our team of 4 interns
• Assist with organization with paperwork and camp check-in
• Supervise our team of interns--manage intern responsibilities, scheduling, and
• Lead Teachers are the charged with the academic aspect of our day, ensuring that all lessons are prepared and planned and that all academic materials are packed. They play a large role in curriculum development.
• Provide one-on-one reading and writing help for students
• Help with transportation needs and planning special field trips around the area--logistical planning
• Multiple experiences working with children, ages 3-15, preferably in an outdoor setting.
• Must be comfortable managing groups of children up to 5, in an outdoor setting
• Experience with education and teaching
• Must be a team player, problem solver, high energy, and FLEXIBLE
• Strong knowledge of Colorado ecosystems
• Must have strong reading and writing skills and a passion for literature
• Must possess strong organizational and communication skills
• Must possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited university or college
• Valid driver’s license and willingness to drive vans and trailers
Superior organizational and time management skills are crucial to excelling in this position. Individuals who are receptive to close-collaboration in a fast-paced environment and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously will be assets to the organization. Ideal candidates are dedicated individuals who seek to grow as professionals and develop supportive relationships with colleagues.
• Must have the ability to reside in Steamboat Springs, CO June 3rd -August 11th
• Must be available for entire period that camp is in session.
• Housing not included but can be arranged for employees at their cost.
• Salary of $3,500 for 8 weeks of camp and 1 week of staff training, 9 weeks at $388/ week. Lead Teachers work Monday-Friday, 8am-5:30pm and will include nights at our overnight sight. No camp is held on weekends except preparations needed for camp on Monday. Lead Teachers will spend some weeks (M-F) at our overnight site where room and board will be provided.
• Discount at Off the Beaten Path Bookstore and access to other pro deals for gear
• Willing to work with students to obtain college credit
• Leadership/management experience
• Invaluable learning experience in fields of natural ecology, local Colorado history, and early-childhood education, fun camping trips!
• Excellent resume builder and references—opportunity to continue with organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
(include “BookTrails Lead Teacher” in subject line):
• Cover letter
• Two written references, one being someone who has witnessed you working with children.
Use your application materials to explain your interest in BookTrails and its mission; please highlight any exposure you have to the wilderness areas and the dates of your availability or any exceptions to the qualifications. Your cover letter should explain the skills, experience, and interest that qualify you to fulfill the expectations outlined above.
Please contact Admin@steamboatbooktrails.org
with any questions.