About Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado
Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC) is a leading statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to motivating and enabling people to become active stewards of Colorado’s natural resources. Colorado’s outdoor resources contribute greatly to our health, happiness and state economy, but they also face ongoing stresses and require care and stewardship to ensure long-term sustainability. Leveraging our 35 years of experience in outdoor stewardship volunteerism, we engage 5,000 volunteers in hands-on stewardship work each year. We also help other groups develop and grow effective volunteer programs to meet Colorado’s growing stewardship needs. Finally, we foster statewide, cross-industry collaboration to encourage a unified approach to caring for Colorado.
The Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator reports to the Senior Marketing and Communications Manager. This is a non-exempt, full-time position that is responsible for engaging with the public to promote VOC’s outdoor stewardship opportunities and ultimately recruit and retain volunteers; this includes active management of volunteer project rosters and assisting VOC staff and volunteers with waitlists and registrations. This role is also responsible for database administrative oversight including data entry, ensuring data integrity, and running queries.
This is a position with the opportunity to learn about nonprofit volunteer engagement and management in a well-established charitable organization. This position will start in mid to late January 2020.
The following competencies are expected from all staff members at VOC:
- Communication: effective and timely communication, both orally and written
- Teamwork: works well with others, contributes to a positive team environment
- Service: provides exceptional service to customers, partners, volunteers, and donors
- Leadership: demonstrates leadership and decision-making abilities in the organization
- Initiative: assesses and initiates things independently and to help improve the organization
- Accountability: reliable and inspires trust in others
- Implement a systematic approach for targeted outreach to achieve desired recruitment for VOC projects, programs, and training opportunities
- Manage project season volunteer communications, including updating pre- and post-project email templates, managing volunteer registrations and waitlist process, and administering post-project surveys
- Respond timely and effectively to all volunteer inquiries during the workweek within 24 hours
- Assist volunteers in resolving project registration issues, whether they need technical assistance or have other project-related questions
- Represent VOC at community outreach events and build relationships with relevant community, user, and affinity groups
- Implement volunteer recognition initiatives, including planning the volunteer appreciation annual event
- Assist with database management including performing data entry, ensuring data integrity, helping with
staff training, and producing reports about volunteers and organizational accomplishments
- Develop and implement an annual volunteer retention plan
- Support project season scheduling process by working with the project selection team
- Analyze and report to full VOC team about volunteer experience and survey results
- Assist Senior Marketing & Communications Manager, as needed
- Perform other related duties as required to support and strengthen the mission and purpose of VOC
Attendance at evening and weekend events, with some travel, is required
Education and Previous Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or at least 2 years of professional, office experience
- Strong interest in volunteerism, conservation, and/or environmental issues
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively handle high volume of phone calls and email correspondences
- Goal-oriented individual with proven ability to meet deadlines and work independently
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to get along with diverse individuals
- Team player who thrives in fast-paced work environments and enjoys collaborative work projects
- Experience with databases and technology preferred
Job duties include a general office environment, spent sitting and operating a computer and other office machinery. Must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter, resume, and compensation requirements to email@example.com(link
sends e-mail), (if possible, as a single PDF) and include “Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls
Applications must be received by midnight November 10, 2019
VOC offers a competitive total rewards package of compensation and benefits, including 100% employer-paid health insurance, up to a 4% match on a 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation and sick time, and more. This is a non-exempt position.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Grand Canyon Trust